Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Week 1

Hi Everyone!

I don't know how I made it through the week! It's been so wonderful and exciting, I can't believe this isn't a dream or anything! The atmosphere here is warm and peaceful, and everyone is pleasant and kind. It's like being in a bubble of spiritual energy. The remodeled buildings are beautiful with murals and cute little offices everywhere. I love it. There's these gorgeous mountains right in front of us and I have no idea what they're called but I love them too! It's actually been raining here quite a bit too, so I almost feel like I never left! Now I suppose I should talk about my people. Let's see, my district is composed of 12 elders and sisters. They're all amazing people, like I don't even know how I got so blessed. The elders are absolute sweethearts (don't tell them I said that), and they are so patient with us sisters. My companion, Sister Ashmead, is a doll and keeps me in line with the scheduling and all that. She is spiritual and thoughtful, she loves to run everywhere (it's hard in heels) and she feels utterly devastated if we haven't done something productive in five minutes. She makes me all the better though by strengthening my weaknesses, and I only hope that I've been helping her as much as she's been helping me.


I had no idea that I would be jumping right into teaching the first day, so that was a little nerve wracking! I've seen the benefits of it though, now that I'm a week into it. We're here to learn how to teach the Gospel. We're going to be teaching for 18 months to 2 years, so we need as much experience possible. I love getting to know investigators, I could talk to them all day long about hiking and working and all that good stuff. However, I'm a little more hesitant about the spiritual part. I may not be learning a language, but I definitely feel like the spirit is it's own language that I may or may not be fluent in... It's getting easier though. I can already feel a difference in myself and in my district. The thing is, you can study all you want in the scriptures or in Preach my Gospel, but in order to truly learn something, you have to be in tune with the spirit. We teach by the spirit, investigators are taught by the spirit. They aren't converted because of how awesome my companion and I are, they're converted by the Holy Ghost, by what they feel. (I've already had to comfort my companion with this because she takes it personally if a meeting doesn't go well.)

There's this odd sense of peace in me. Like I'm not bothered when something goes wrong, or if things don't go the way we planned. I would have an ulcer by now if I still had the mindset I did before I left.  I've been able to get up early every morning and stay up late, yet still have energy for the day. I just feel as though I'm where I'm supposed to be, and that this was the right decision. Of course I miss everyone, and Oregon. I miss the green, and tasty water. But I also feel anticipation and determination when I think of the field, like I'm not as afraid of this whole mission thing as I was before. The unknown is exciting, and leaves the possibility for change. and I'm grateful that I am here and that I chose to do this. I will do the best I can because I want to, and because I want to give others the opportunity to change for the better and to learn that they have a Savior who loves them. That they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and is aware of them. I want people to feel as empowered and carefree as I do that there is life after death, that we get to see loved ones again. I want people to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost in their lives so they never feel alone without comfort. I want to teach people to want to be better, to lift themselves up and learn to truly live.


I'm still getting used to all the rules here. One of my dresses was too short and I felt like all the sisters were staring at me! The slang is hard to get rid of too, like saying "you guys" and "freaking" and yes "crap". I had to set a goal for myself to quit using that kind of lingo. But we can say "yall"??? I've also refused to give up singing whatever I want. While vacuuming the other morning I was totally belting out some Sia and Florence and the Machine. It was great. I have felt the effects of the MTC though, because I've caught myself singing Christian songs and going "where did that come from?"

Kentucky just sounds amazing the more I hear about it. Even when I'm told it's -5 over there or something like that, it's like my brain refuses to take that as a bad thing. It's beautiful over there, the people, I hear, are friendly, the food sounds tasty but deadly and of course there's beautiful horses all over the place! Half my pictures are probably going to be of horses...  so yeah. I can't wait to get over there.


I love yall, I know that this work is the greatest work I could be doing right now. I know that our Savior, Jesus Christ loves each and every one of you, even more than I do! Hugs and kisses and big hugs and kisses!!!

With love, Sister Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment