Monday, February 19, 2018

Sister Wilcox the Younger

A new week, a new email!

Actually I keep forgetting what I've already told y'all, so there may be repeats hahaha😅. I have heard of the crazy weather back home, but get this. It was 60 degrees and super humid on Friday. Then on Saturday it started snowing... I've never felt more betrayed. Except for last year when it started snowing in Rexburg in April.😐 Saturday had the biggest plans though and we were gonna bike out to this hard to reach place, but the weather was like nooooope. Instead we planned our lessons and cleaned.

I mean we deep cleaned. This apartment has housed elders for YEARS. It's disgusting, and Sister Wilcox Sr and I haven't had enough time on p-days to really do anything about it. So I busted out the rags and Clorox and mopped the kitchen & bathroom by hand and scrubbed the walls! Super gross but super worth it! I can walk through there barefoot now.😁

We had a few disappointments this week, some people have been hard to get a hold of and others flat out won't meet with us. My favorite is when people message back saying "I will let you know when we can meet." Yeah no you won't. We did however heart attack some doors and found some less active members, so that was fun! Actually we got a new investigator because of this! We were sitting on the bottom steps to an apartment complex trying to cut out more hearts (we rushed out the door and forgot a few) and this guy started coming down so we hurried to get out of the way meanwhile striking up a conversation with him. This super sweet family guy, Kuria (pronounced like Korea), ended up wanting to meet with us again. Later on in the week he CALLED us to let us know he had a last minute thing come up, but he wanted to reschedule. This never happens! He is indeed a very cool, classy guy.

I had exchanges this week too. It's where zone leaders or STL's (Sister training leaders) swap out with your companion and you go tracting/finding with them. I had sister Sheperd who is just a doll face and I love her! She was so crazy fun yet focused and spiritual. She only has 3 weeks left on her mission though!😲 Anyways, we went out to teach a mother and her disabled son, but the mother wasn't there and there was a nanny instead. We were rescheduling with her when this little Latino guy comes up behind us and starts rambling on about how he can't get into his house and he needs to get in, then he started talking about needing to go to Bardstown and it was hard to understand, and we were all like, "We can't take you anywhere buddy" because really we can't as missionaries. But he was so high it wasn't registering with him at all. So the nanny's husband came and walked us to our car because the guy followed us thinking he was getting a ride! Fun stuff!

Also, the bike routes around here are insufferable and I feel like I've already talked about this, but they're just so bad! Anyway, we stumbled upon this ginormous sidewalk and thought "wow this is great!" And thinking it was gonna take us where we needed to go. Instead it ended. Right next to a highway. So I call it the Great and Spacious Sidewalk because it's big and beautiful but leads you astray and leads you to believe falsely that it will take you where you need to go...

Lately we've been teaching a part member family. The kids are all very active, but the mom not so much. She has a very sad story, and we're simply trying to be there for her and let her know we love her. Our spiritual thought for the night was the Plan of Salvation or the Plan of Happiness where we get to talk about where we came from, why we're here, and where we go after this life. I ended up singing O My Father to the Come Thou Font tune because we both felt like I should. It talks about the pre-mortal existence and it's just a sweet song. It immediately brought the spirit and the kids were really focused. The mother told us that she always cries when she sings that song and it was such a spiritual lesson.

I've written way too much! I love you all!

With love,
Sister Wilcox😙

No comments:

Post a Comment