Monday, February 12, 2018

Wilcox & Wilcox

Hiii!

I don't even know if I can remember what we did this week... so I'm gonna give some more background on the area because I realize I haven't done that yet and it's been three weeks.

So Hurstbourne is smack dab in the bustling city. We neighbor Jeffersontown which is just as crazy. Every building here is brick or some other stone, and the sidewalks are in mostly crummy condition. Woohoo! We live up the street from a liquor store and apparently the guy that works there, Frank, gives the elders free slushies... super jealous, but sister Wilcox Sr is pretty sure we're not supposed to go in there. 😐

There are no mountains or even large hills in sight. The bike rides would say otherwise, however, and my thighs are not happy going uphill all the time. We're getting used to public transportation though. The bus is pretty fun, and by fun I mean that I don't understand how anyone around here legally obtained a license. There was an ambulance that had to sit in an intersection WAY too long before anyone decided to stop moving! Actually, I got a story about this (don't freak out). We went to visit this Latina lady Sayra, with the elders and she had apparently lost her dog a week prior to our visit. We were helping her clean the house when randomly she received a tip on the whereabouts of this dog and she was like "everybody in the car!" So we drove all over town following this lead going from shelter to shelter, going like 80 miles an hour and I was holding the "Oh crap" bar so so tight! It was scary! All the while she had this fantastic Latino music on, so that was a plus. We have yet to find the dog though.

I saw a giant fork the other day. It was the most random thing ever, and I'm pretty sure it was for a bank. I haven't gotten to go to see the Sluggers museum yet, but we can visit it which will be awesome! I think we'll go on a district P-day?

The weather is just weird. Oregon's weird, but this is so much worse. It'll be bright and sunny one day and super warm. Then at night, it snows or just plain rains down ice, and the next day we have to bundle up big time! It can go from the 50s to the 20s in two seconds I swear! Sister Wilcox Sr got to see freezing rain for the first time though. She was super excited, but super worried about biking that day.😥


The main foods around here that I've never heard of but everyone says I have to try are Hot Browns and Grits. Grits are some kind of porridge, I think?? But Hot Browns are fantastic! They're like these turkey sandwiches covered in sauce and ohhhh man! Sounds weird but it's muy bien! We actually just tried them today at this super cute restaurant called "Wild Eggs." We were all skeptical at first, but seriously I want one of these in Oregon! We went to celebrate Valentine's day there with the Hermanas.


It's been rough this week, and yet also amazing? We haven't had a lot of progress finding, but we had some awesome lessons with some of our investigators and I felt really good about them. We've been able to meet more of our members and seriously, they're amazing. Brother Velasquez loves farming and really wants to start his own homestead! I had so much fun talking with him, and he was super surprised to meet another crazy person who wants to study dirt! It was great. We also had an emergency with trying to get an investigator to a baptism (It didn't work out), but the Jones's family came flying to our aid in their mini van with their kids and a bunch of groceries. We felt so bad! But sister Jones said that if her daughter was on a mission, she would want someone to come flying to her rescue as well and I just love her so much!!!

The Wilcox & Wilcox thing came from our ward. Apparently in all the meetings last Sunday they decided that Sister Wilcox Sr and I sound like a law firm.. so yeah. They're funny!


I love you all so much! I love hearing from you and I can't wait to get all your emails! You inspire me so much, and you all bring a little bit of home with you when you write. Thank you so much, and have a Happy Valentine's Day!

With love,
Sister Wilcox





No comments:

Post a Comment