Monday, August 27, 2018

Planting Grass and Old Lady Sass

Hi loves!

My highlight of this week was getting to plant grass and mulch for Holly this week! Love her, love mulch, love crazy little boston terriers!!!

We got to do more tracting this week and I didn't realize how much I would miss tracting, but I did! We met some cool people in a trailer park, I love trailer parks! They have so much potential!

On Wednesday we built a baby crib. This is the 3rd bed we've built, and by we I mean Sister Pankey, I just handed her the tools and held stuff :) That night at our lesson the person we were teaching cut a hole in the side of his house... yeah, he was trying to cut out a pipe and missed. Why he needed to cut a pipe right before a lesson, I don't know, but hey it was pretty funny!

Thursday we helped set up a yard sale and BUILT ANOTHER BED, cuz that's just what we do I guess. Later on in the day we felt like we needed to change our plans and so we visited some folks. We got into contact with Ashawnta again which was crazy because it's so hard to do that! It was meant to happen! Also, funny thing, Ashawnta's name is actually pronounced Ashawnt-e. This whole time we've been saying it wrong and nobody wanted to correct us because they didn't want us to feel bad! Well now I feel worse! Hahaha ha ha! We contacted Temyha and met her brother- he is funny! And we got to talk to this really sweet gal who has such a strong testimony of Christ. Seriously, she knows she is in good hands and that nothing is accomplished without the Lord's help. It was really cool! I was like, "can we just take you around town to talk to people?" she would be fire!

I know I'm skipping days, but on Saturday we went tracting again down this street by a park and we met the Boom Squad. Apparently the movie 'Drum-line' originates here. Anyway, we talked to the director of the group and he was very passionate about what he knows about our church (which was not entirely correct but we listened patiently) and I think we were on that street so we could meet him. We didn't get to say much, but he wants to hear us out and set up basically a return appointment. He's black, and many people are still hurting and holding onto when people of color could not hold the priesthood, including him. Even though he's not a member.

We don't know why they couldn't hold the priesthood, only God does. Honestly, I think it was just a huge trial of faith for us as a people to overcome. The 'Be One' broadcast that we had a few months ago was amazing and I seriously encourage you to watch it if you have been struggling with this whole priesthood thing as well, or if you just want to watch something beautiful because it gave me chills!

I got to hold some chickens on Saturday too because we went to visit some new members and they had all these Rhode Island reds and I held their rooster! I have issues. I miss my chickens!

Another funny thing (honestly there's lots but I can't remember many of them at the moment) was that sister Coomes, this wonderful great-grandma, smacked this ginormous wasp with a piece of paper all the while saying "shoo" "off you go!" This sucker was as long as my thumb and all kinds of scary warning colors and she slapped him around like a boss lady!

We visited another wonderful older lady who we have had the most difficult time tracking down, because she kept getting moved, but we finally got to meet her! Sh'es beautiful! She's 83 and looks like a goddess! And she was so sweet, her spirit was so strong it would just hit me! I teared up several times while she bore her testimony and told us about her experiences with the church. I told her how powerful her presence was, and she just smiled at me, what a delight! I wanna be like that when I'm that age! She gave us some advice about marriage too. She was like, "if they're too nice, look for something wrong!" and "some people get married for the looks. Don't look." and I don't know, for whatever reason that was super profound to me. But anyway, so blessed by the people we get to meet here in Evansville!

That's all I remember from this week! Y'all are amazing, wonderful, beautiful souls and you are beacons out in this dark world. Light will always prevail against darkness! You are POWERFUL and you are a force for good! Have a great week, love y'all!

With love,
Sister Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment